In Neopia, even the Neopets have pets. They are called Petpets, and there are many different species. The player does not have to feed and care for the petpets. A pet's petpets can own petpetpets, in turn.
If petpets are kept in a player's inventory, they may eat food items also in their inventory.
The list of all the petpets is on our species page.
Petpets are treated as items, so one may buy, sell, or trade them at will. One can also petpets different colors at the Rainbow Pool if they possess a special paint brush. There are even ones you can make at the cooking pot.
Many shops in different worlds sell Petpets, including a shop in each of these areas:
- The Neopian Petpet Shop in Neopia Central
- Wintery Petpets in Terror Mountain
- Spooky Petpets in Haunted Woods
- Tyrannian Petpets
- The Rock Pool on Mystery Island sells Aquatic Petpets
- Ye Olde Petpets in Meridell sells Meridellian petpets
- Geraptiku petpetsare found in the Lost City of Geraptiku on Mystery Island
- Peopatra's petpets are found in Sakhmet in the Lost Desert
- Fanciful Fauna sells the petpets in Shenkuu
- Faerieland petpets in Faerieland
- The Pirate Pet Shop on Krawk Island sells Petpets for dubloons rather than NP!
- Robopet petpet shop on the Virtupets Space Station
- Legendary Petpets in Altador
- Moltara petpets in Moltara
Each Neopet may only have one pet. According to the Neopets FAQ, more than one would be too much work for the pet. However, a petpet can get their own little critters to take care of, called petpetpets. See the list of species for more information about the types of petpets.
Function of PetpetsEdit
A petpet can be quite useful in gaining avatars where one is required to keep a certain petpet attached to their pet for a certain amount of time. Also, if the PPL (Petpet Protection League) chooses a player's petpet's species for the week's petpet award, they could win a trophy if the petpet is aged enough.
In the Petpet Arena on the Darigan Citadel, one can have their petpet battle several others. If the player wins, they could increase their petpet's level and win a trophy.
Turmaculus in Meridell can only be interacted with if the player's active Neopet owns a Petpet. If the player attempts to awaken the Turmaculus and succeeds, they may win a prize. In addition, their petpet may get eaten, and if it is, they will obtain the avatar for the Turmaculus. However, his will very rarely happen, and one will also lose a petpet in the process.
By clicking their Neopet and go into the Quick Reference page, the player can click on their the Petpet and interact with the Petpet by naming it and speaking to it. One may also unequip their Neopet's Petpet on this page. This will reset the name and age of the Petpet, and return it to the player's inventory.
Types of PetpetsEdit
- Altadorian Petpets
- Desert Petpets
- Faerie Petpets
- Original Petpets
- Robot Petpets
- Spooky Petpets
- Neopets list of all the petpets